Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The new Imports

Well I had hoped that things would settle down a bit so I could make a big long write up about this great new pups ... but well a new litter of pups, new imported pups, and a litter of just now 5 week old pups on the ground (all during the holiday selling season at our store mind you!) slow down ... WHAT WAS I THINKING!!


So here is the 'short version' of how these guys came about.


I have always liked the pedigree and looks of Janet Beale's new lilac stud dog "Orion". She and I have talked about semen and other litters he has sired. But I also wanted to make sure to get a CEA normal pup that was a good bold working prospect that was also a dilute in color if possible(working prospect first, color second). When Janet told me of the cross which should produce the dilute colors and have good working ability I asked to be on the 'list' for the breeding.


The litter was bred, I was excited. Then the litter was born and sadly many of the pups were lost to an odd early case of 'puppy strangles' (I was so sad). Only two males remained (I had hoped for a girl) so we waited and I hoped. There was a dilute blue boy in the litter ... so I hoped and said a few little prayers that he would be a good working prospect as he grew.


My prayers were answered... Janet felt he would be a good worker, and he was CEA normal (by parentage) and well a dilute!! OK sounds good.... lets work on a trip to bring him to me (so I can avoid all those outrageous cargo fees).


That was a long and tedious process ... which turned into plans and then 'different plans' then again "DIFFERENT plans" (probably even a few more 'different plans in there as well!!) Finally the plan was set and he was hitching a ride to the USA via a nice lady from Canada.

So enter Imported Astra "Rigel"!!!! His name came from the star constellation of "Orion". The brightest blue and white star in the constellation is called "Rigel" He is a sweet cuddly boy when you pick him up. You put him down and he is a playful, silly bold pup (and already interested to fetch the frozen tennis balls in the yard). He learned the stairs quickly and is quiet as a mouse in a crate. Great eater and one of the family already!! Well then you think "where did the other one" come from?? He is Rigel's brother. He was originally sold here to the US as well (someone else). So he and Rigel were going to get discounted shipping and be able to fly together. The original buyer was unable to complete the deal so Rigel had no buddy to make his flight cheap. (remember all those "different plans??") Janet and I were able to come to an agreement that he too would get to come over. Janet understood, I would probably not be keeping both as I want the genetics but no need to keep two of the genetics... so he will probably be offered for sale to a home where he will be able to shine on his own. I will only want to sell him to a home where I can have use of him as a stud dog (for some of my girls). This of course is only if he continues to mature out as nicely as he is looking currently.

We are thinking on names... the one that suited him is far too long. Betelguese is one of the red stars in the constellation "Orion" as well. But well "Betelguese' is just too long to say ... not to mention too many spaces for ABCA and ISDS. Suggestions are welcome for names on this fluff ball!!




Last but not least 'our wild child!!!" This litttle busy body red tri girl is a granddaughter of Astra Dream. Dream is a bitch I have admired as a producer for many many years. Dream has been retired from breeding quite awhile ago .. so I have always kept an 'eye' out for a daughter of her. Janet has one of her daughters named "Stella"... she toyed with selling her along the way as well.. so we have chatted about her off and on. In the end Stella stayed and Janet offered me this little lady (Stella's daughter and 'clone in looks'). Her father is "Rusty" who is a tough working red merle that is on a working cattle operation in the U.K.

The pedigree was wonderful, the personality was top notched (and totally my style) so when Janet offered to make the package deal and included her in the discounted shipping it was an offer I could not refuse. She hitched a ride to the US along with the other boys.

This little lady is our 'style' of puppy and one I will love to start on sheep. I think she will be a good sheepdog, (might work cattle) and certainly could be a stellar dog sports dog ... as nothing phases this little girl NOTHING. She is bold assertive and one of those pups you can't help but pay attention to. If the right home does presents itself I will consider letting her go, if not then she will stay and be started on sheep along with the boys.

So there you have it!! I 'short' version of the imports and their 'wild ride' to the US and my house.

I have been able to relax and watch them play in the snow in our yard, and got a bit of video of them in a cute game of catch me if you can (the tri girl has a rag she dug out of the snow) and hopefully in all that 'spare time' of mine I will be able to upload it for all to see!!

Our weather turned warm the last few days ... which has been great for warmth ... but terrible for the mud and taking photos. When the weather cooperates on the mud .. I will get more photos of the new kids in the country.

No comments: